How Do I Become Excellent at Public Relations?
In his Netflix special, in addition to addressing “the slap heard round the world,” Chris Rock talked about the four ways to become famous and/or “known.” One of those ways: to be excellent at something.
However, he went on, because being excellent requires sacrifice, many often choose not to do it.
But don’t. Choose to be excellent. Choose it whether it equals fame or not. Here are some ways to help set yourself up for excellence in public relations:
- Get a mentor.
- Be a mentor.
- Manage your time.
- Join PRSA and take advantage of their workshops, speakers, webinars, and volunteer opportunities with the local chapter.
- Learn how to get the right work done.
- Ask questions; be curious about a lot of things.
- Learn from your mistakes.
- Use AP Style.
- Stay up-to-date on the world around you, especially local news.
- Don’t rely on databases; get to know key media in a real way.
- Write contact reports after every meeting detailing critical items that must get done for the brand, client or business.
- Stay up-to-date on social media trends and tools.
- School is never over; give yourself homework and do it, be it research, networking, setting goals, or creating a streamlined way to organize yourself.
- Dress for success.
- Be an example.
- Try to balance.
- Never stop writing. Work this muscle as often as possible.
- Harness the power of storytelling.
- Learn the basic tactics of the profession.