What’s A-hed?June 21, 2018
#MediaMonday – John D’AnnaJune 25, 2018
Courtesy of Unsplash
If you go based on television portrayals of public relations practitioners (thanks, Samantha Jones), you’d think the world of public relations is all glitz, glamor and cosmos at noon.
The reality – it is a hard job with sometimes-tough hours that requires dedication, constant evolution, on-going education, writing ability, negotiation skills, and the ability to communicate in about a million different ways with every type of personality at any given time.
Recently, our Public Relations Global Network partner Reed Public Relations authored a post sharing their top five ways to know if working in public relations is right for you. Their list is spot on and available here, especially the note about being able to handle pressure.
11 more ways to know if public relations is right for you:
- Do you have, or can you develop, a thick skin?
- Are you willing to understand the inner workings of virtually any of business or brand, from soup to nuts?
- Do you like to research things?
- Can you manage time wisely?
- Do you have, or are you willing to learn, basic photography, video, graphics, advertising and digital communications skills?
- Can you do math (yes, we do math!)?
- Can you own up (and find a way to move on) from mistakes?
- Do you have a sense of humor?
- Are you empathetic?
- Can you manage others’ expectations?
- Can you manage your own?
For those already in the industry, what else would you add to the list?