More than 430 students from 22 high schools from across Central Arizona donned their best business attire and swarmed the Arizona Biltmore Resort on March 27. What looked like a Fortune 500 business conference was actually the Fifth Annual “JA You’re Hired!” program developed by Junior Achievement of Arizona and the University of Phoenix. During the day-long event, students competed in a variety of work-skills related challenges that focused on job aptitude and competence, business networking, entrepreneurship and essential career development skills led by local business leaders and hiring managers.
Among the top performers were:
· Advanced Thinking on Your Feet Challenge Winner – Chelsea Fiala, Highland High School
· Thinking on Your Feet Challenge Winner- Danielle Downing, Hamilton High School
· Business Plan Challenge Winner – Jing Liong – Desert Vista High School
· Interviewing Challenge Winner – Sophie Jones, Girls Leadership Academy of Arizona
· Networking Guru Winner – Jacob Bello, Hamilton High School
· Resume/Cover Letter Contest Winner – Annabelle Gilmore, Gilbert High School
· Creative Marketing Challenge School Winner- Metro Tech High School
· Team Building and Communication Challenge Winner – Sunrise Mountain High School
· Great Leadership Experiment School Winner – Mountain Pointe High School
· Dress for Success School Winner – Metro Tech High School
Participating schools included: AAEC South Mountain, Alhambra High School, Arizona Lutheran Academy, Bash High School, Campo Verde High School, Corona del Sol High School, Desert Vista High School, GateWay Early College High School, Gilbert High School, Girls Leadership Academy of Arizona, Hamilton High School, Highland High School, Ira H Hayes High School, Marcos de Niza High School, Metro Tech High School, Mountain Pointe High School, Perry High School, Sedona Red Rock High School, skyline High School, Sunrise Mountain High School and Vechij Himdag Alternative School.