What is Story Mining?February 13, 2019
#MediaMonday – Christina Fuoco-KarasinskiFebruary 19, 2019
Whether you love it, like it or want to run away and hide from it… it’s Valentine’s Day! And we in the Arizona desert have another special reason to celebrate this lovely day—it’s our official statehood day!
In honor of the occasion, we have compiled some fun facts about the Grand Canyon state--
- On February 14, 1912, President Taft signed the proclamation making Arizona the 48th state, and the last of the contiguous states to be admitted to the union.
- Arizona is the only state besides Hawaii that does not observe Daylight Savings time.
- Next time you enjoy a refreshing margarita, thank Arizona. The country's first barrel of tequila came out of Nogales in 1936.
- The Arizona Cardinals are the longest-running continuous franchise in the NFL, dating back to 1898.
- Arizona is large enough to fit all of New England plus the state of Pennsylvania inside of it.
- The comic strip “The Family Circus” was created by Paradise Valley native Bil Keane, and is sometimes set in Scottsdale.
- The Queen of Mystical Rock-n-Roll herself, Stevie Nicks, was born at Good Samaritan Hospital in Phoenix.
- Although most people think of Arizona as desert, about 15% of the state is covered by forests, including some of the largest national forests in the nation.
- The towering saguaro cactus, whose blooms are recognized as the state’s flower, can grow up to 50 feet high, store hundreds of gallons of water, and live to be up to 200 years old.
Happy birthday, Arizona! May your day be filled with love, chocolate and bolo ties <3