#MediaMonday – Pitching Television
Last week, I had the pleasure of attending my first ever PRSA media breakfast which was all about the do’s and don’ts of pitching the media. Unlike other media breakfasts, this event was hosted at night (AKA happy hour). The panelist included producers and reporters Nicole Crites, reporter/anchor for CBS 5, Yasmeen Hassan, weekend producer for 3TV, Dan Siegel, ABC 15’s planning editor.
The event took place at Rico’s American Grill at the Pointe Squaw Peak (which has amazing food BTW). The panel discussed everything from their preferred pitching style to what cool stories they are look for.
Here are a few takeaways from last week’s event:
- Visuals and people are essential for any live shot.
- Follow up with reporters/producers prior to event.
- Keep emails/pitches short and simple
- It’s all about the subject line. Always provide the date and an attention getter- no sentences.
- Solicit feedback from reporter/producer about how event/ live shot/ live segment went.
Whether you’re pitching through social media or via email, the one major take away from the event was to know who you’re pitching- know what they cover, what they like and don’t like and when their show runs. Doing so will help create relationships and get the coverage you need- when you need it.
Thanks to the panelist for their insight. If you have any tips for pitching the media, please feel free to comment below.