How to Brush Up on Your Public Speaking
With COVID-19 vaccines now being widely distributed and many organizations planning for the return of in-person events this fall, it has never been a better time to brush up on your public speaking.
Although most of us attended plenty of virtual events with keynote speakers or you may have even been the keynote speaker, the thought of the return to speaking in-front of a live audience may still cause some of you to have a few butterflies.
Here are some tips HMA’s media training to prepare you to speak publicly, whether in front of an audience or in front of the camera:
- Know your audience
- Take a few deep breaths backstage before your speech
- Practice, but don’t over rehearse
- Be prepared with your notes or an outline
- Remember to make eye contact with your audience
- Always tell the truth
- If you mess up, don’t apologize – just keep going.