#FunFactFriday – Halloween
Tomorrow marks not only the end of October as we head into the last two months of the year but also many people’s favorite spooky holiday – Halloween.
Even though Halloween is going to look a lot different this year due to social distancing, here are some fun facts to kick off Halloween weekend.
- According to WalletHub in a normal year, 68% of Americans celebrate Halloween and spent at least $3.2 billion on costumes.
- In 2019, $8.8 billion was spent celebrating Halloween according to the National Retail Federation.
- Of the $8.8 billion spent, $2.6 billion was spent on candy for an estimated 41 million trick-or-treaters with 72% of parents admitting to stealing their children’s candy.
- The most popular candies in the U.S. include Skittles, Reese’s Cups, M&M’s, Snickers and Starburst.
- It has been 27 years since Disney’s classic Halloween movie “Hocus Pocus” was released. Originally, Leonardo DiCaprio was offered “more money than he could ever dream of” to play the role of Max but turned down the role so he could later audition for “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape.”
I’ll be spending my Halloween weekend waiting to catch the day after Halloween candy sale and watching some of my favorite Halloween movies, which does include Hocus Pocus.
How do you plan to spend this year’s nontraditional Halloween?