The holidays can be a busy time of the year for public relations professionals. There are many opportunities for us pros to utilize our skills to help clients with holiday events, fundraisers and campaigns. For example, Rachel and Caelen just recently wrapped up a Noisy Toys campaign for the Arizona Commission for the Deaf and the Hard of Hearing. The campaign raised awareness of the harmful effects noisy toys can have on children. It was great timing to raise this awareness because of how much shopping happens during the holidays and as a result, they secured tons of statewide media coverage for the campaign in print, radio and TV.
Not only do we go big for our clients during the holidays, but we tend to use our skills for our friends and family too, and this especially rings true during the most wonderful time of the year. . Here’s how:
- Amazing holiday parties – Public relations professionals are the go-to for planning holiday parties. Since we often plan various events for our clients and organizations, holiday planning for our friends and family is something we are more than capable of taking over.
- Our gifts rock – Every day we scan for newsworthy stories or products that relate to our clients or organizations. But, it doesn’t stop there. Our minds are embedded to think how something can relate to those closest in our lives. Whether we found a new product or service, we’re already thinking which of our friends or family we should share it with. As a result, our holiday gifts rock.
- Gift exchanging – Bored with Secret Santa or White Elephant? This includes being on the hunt for new ways to gift exchange. Just this week, HMA had its holiday party. The process for our gift exchange was something we hadn’t done before, and it was great! Abbie read to us “Twas the Night Before Christmas” and “My First Menorah.” Every time she said, “the” we each had to pass our gift to the right, not knowing what we’d finally end up getting. I definitely recommend trying it at your next holiday party.
- Sending holiday cards – At HMA, we like being first. We like being the first to know of media updates because then we can post it on FinderBinderAZ for our subscribers. We also like to be the first at sending out holiday cards. We plan for our cards well before the holidays begin. And, we’re not the only ones. Many public relations professionals are on top of sending holiday cards. It’s just kind of our thing!
- Annual holiday letter – And if you don’t get a holiday card then you’re bound to get an annual holiday letter. We enjoy looking at our work from the past year. We like to see what strategies or campaigns worked and what needs to be tailored. We’re constantly evaluating and reviewing. Sending out an annual holiday letter is kind of similar to that.
- Coordinating during the holidays – A typical PR pro’s day is well planned out. While situations can arise that deviate us from our schedule, we’ve got our days pretty locked down. Our time management skills become helpful for during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season.