PRSA Western District Conference – Off Topic!April 23, 2009
Meet the MediaApril 23, 2009
Cision is leading this PACKED breakout session...and I am under the air vent being blasted to within an inch of my life so forgive me as a shiver profusely during this post.
- You need to have a social media policy for your brand or your client's brand - starting with one for your employees.
- 1st steps to social media engagement:
Find target community
LISTEN (treat community and social network like a girlfriend!)
- Rule of thumb - unless you are a superstar, DO NOT blog less than a few times a week!
- Be prepared for it to creep out of your 9-5 workday
- Facebook - 65 million unique visitors/month, making it king
- Most companies have Facebook page rather than profile
- Can't control who fans are, but you don't have to "friend" back
- But what if you have major privacy issues and competitor list - Competitors can poach easily so don't give away farm
- Twitter - 10 million unique visitors/month (may be higher b/c f tweet deck and other)
- Friend Feed - 220,000 users - Way to aggregate yourself - one-stop shop of all of your social destinations but not great for outreach
- SEO Benefits of Social Media:
It isn't MAGIC!
Submit your blog posts, videos and more to social news sharing sites as part of larger mix of interesting content
Use DIGG and Delicious - they boost your search immediately
Don't repeat key phrases - Google will discount you and know you are trying to trick them (and their users!)
- Traditional Metrics to prove worth of Social Media and blogging:
Unique monthly sessions
- Some homework - check these out:
Compete.com for free to check things out
- Social Metrics that matter:
Inbound links (through Google is easiest)
Citation on social bookmarking and news sharing sites
- What do you do with all these stats - look for patterns. This works for figuring out good bloggers to pitch and as reasoning to boss or clients that you need to be reaching out to that site