Thank goodness it’s Friday!
Boy, it’s been a busy month here at HMA with tons of events and of course getting the 2013 edition of FINDERBINDERAZ rolled out (yes, it’s finally at the printer and will be to subscribers soon). Many of you communicators out there had the pleasure of attending this month’s PRSA Phoenix and New Pro’s events yourself but for those of you that didn’t we will give you the low down in today’s very special edition of FINDERBINDER FRIDAY!
If you missed yesterday morning’s PRSA Media Breakfast with Phoenix Business Journal panelists Kristena Hansen, Ilana Lowery and Patrick O’Grady, then listen up!
This panel of media mavens spent the morning talking all things media pitching. Here are some of their helpful tips:
- Only include the “nuts and bolts” in the email pitch (important stuff)
- Know the audience the reporter is trying to reach as well as the reporter
- Get to know reporters outside of the office
- Reporters love exclusivity on stories
And, if you missed this month’s New Pros event that, although not quite media related, definitely touched on an important topic: Time Management. Our very own Abbie and Rachel sat on the panel along with Sara Chambers from Phoenix Theater. Some key takeaways were:
- Have an allotted amount of time devoted to not working. It will keep you from over-working or from not paying attention to other important aspects of your life.
- Make staff meetings more efficient and on track by keep conversations that don’t involve everyone for afterwards.
- Write everything down – keep a notepad on you at all times, especially by your night stand for those middle of the night ideas.
- Professionals are not expected to respond during none traditional working hours, HOWEVER, if you are sending emails at 8 p.m., you should be answering them as well.
- Never let an email go unanswered for more than 24 hours
- Use Outlook tasks to help stay organized and make lists
- Don’t make a to-do list, make an accomplishment list. It feels a lot better to accomplishing something than to just do it.
Make sure to watch for more opportunities to mingle and learn from media experts in the Valley by liking PRSA Phoenix and New Pro’s on Facebook. And if you haven’t yet, because that elusive thing called time management is escaping you, reserve your copy of the 2013 FINDERBINDER and see how stress-free it can be to connect with Arizona media!
- Phoenix Business Journal panelists (L-R) Ilana Lowery, Kristena Hansen and Patrick O’Grady,