I read a blog post about public relations this morning that upset me. I admit, I get a tad defensive when it comes to my occupation, and down –right snooty when people make assumptions about my job. But when it is another PR pro tarnishing our rep, I will not sit idly by.
David Brimm, the president of BrimmComm Inc. posted a top 10 list to PR Daily, typically one of my favorite public relations blogs. The post, titled “10 signs you work in public relations,” is lighthearted in nature, but is flat-out insulting if not just wrong.
I took the liberty – as it was somewhat liberating for me - to add my two cents. The points are from the original post, the amendments are my own thoughts.
I call it “10 signs you are not cut out for public relations.”
10. During a date you are tweeting a reporter about a new pooper scooper.
9. A TV assignment editor threatens to break your dialing finger if you call again on deadline.
8. You didn't take a single public relations course before entering the field.
7. Your friends become nauseous when you want to talk about another new media placement.
6. You sent a pitch to editor Jim Harris and realized it was Jill Harrison.
5. You lost a PR job because you told the recruiter that you "like people."
4. You get excited when anyone at The New York Times takes your call.
3. At 4 a.m. you're at a TV station for an early morning segment.
2. You have a PR budget that will just about cover a large latte.
1. Your mother still doesn't understand what you do for a living.
Friend: “So have you met any celebrities yet?”
Me: “Excuse me?”
Friend: “You know, cuz you’re in PR.”
Me: “Maybe some local newscasters…”
Friend: “Don’t you, like, do things for famous people like throw parties and stuff?”
Me: judgmental stare.
(I have, as I am sure many others in the field, have met a handful of celebrities at press conferences, charity events and promotional shoots, but never “thrown a party” for them.)
What do you think? Do you agree with my changes or support the original list? Have your own amendments? Please share in the comments below!