On July 1, 1993, the one-and-only Abbie S. Fink walked into HMA Public Relations (then Hanson, Moser and Associates and located down the street from our current Arcadia world headquarters) for her first day on the job.
In honor of her 20th anniversary, we thought it would be fun to take a look back at what else was happening in the world on that day – or close to it.
- Missy Elliott (22), Pam Anderson (26), Princess Diana (32), Dan Aykroyd (41), Debbie Harry (48), Olivia de Havilland (77) and Estee Lauder (85) were all celebrating their birthdays
- The Sony Walkman (14) was also celebrating its birthday!
- So were U.S. Zip Codes (30)!
- And, of course, so was Canada - who turned 126 years old on July 1, 1993
- Kelly was two, Katie was three, Steph was six, Alison was 12, Rachel was 15 and Scott was 31
- Just over a week had passed since the Michael Jordan Chicago Bulls defeated the Charles Barkley Phoenix Suns in a sports showdown for the ages
- Sleepless in Seattle and The Firm were slugging it out in a race to be number one at the box office…too bad JURASSIC PARK was also in theatres, eating all of the competition
- Michael Jackson was just days from being accused of child molestation, a story that would dominate headlines all summer (and beyond)
- On the flip side, Michael’s sister Janet Jackson was enjoying her 8th consecutive week with the number one song in the country, “That’s the Way Love Goes”
- Pete Sampras and Staffi Graf were both kicking booty and taking names in the early rounds of Wimbledon, both eventually winning the whole “kitten caboodle”
- Goodby Silverstein & Partners advertising agency was putting the final touches on a campaign it would launch in the early fall. Perhaps you’ve heard of it…Got Milk?
- Kenya Moore was in the midst of her reign as Miss USA. Today, she is better known as a villain and would-be singer on the Real Housewives of Atlanta
So, as Abbie was putting in her first grueling day all those years ago (and every day since) for HMA – where were you, and what were you up to?