Climb Every MountainJune 7, 2017
PRSA New Pros: Landing That Dream Job RecapJune 9, 2017
I have now spent more than half my professional working career here at HMA Public Relations. I’ve written anniversary posts before reflecting on what a great team we have (still do) and how things have changed over the years (and still are changing).
A couple weeks ago in our staff meeting I referenced something that I had done for the first time. It seemed impossible that after nearly 30 years in this business that there could still be things, both personally and professionally, that I did for the first time.
Here are some just a few:
- Ride in a helicopter. The HMA team has had the privilege of working with many of Arizona’s tribal governments, taking us to the far-reaches of our state. We are doing some issues management work for the Havasupai Tribe, located at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. The only way in is to hike the 8-mile trail or take a helicopter.
- Prepare testimony for a congressional hearing. Our work with the Navajo Housing Authority included assisting their public affairs team with the development of a variety of testimony documents to share with both House and Senate committees. And I was fortunate enough to attend a few of those meetings in DC.
- Stay in an AirBnB. Now this one is a first for a lot of people, but if you know me, I’m more of a hotel with room service type traveler. But I’m on-board with this sharing economy and will definitely book again.
- Hospital stay. I hope I never have to experience a second stay. Fortunately, it was nothing serious.
- Miss a board meeting. Thanks to the hospital stay, I had to cancel a trip and therefore, missed my final board meeting on the Counselors Academy executive committee. First time in my 6+ years of service that I missed an in-person meeting.
- Attend the Final Four. I didn’t have a team in the finals (so I cheered for the University of North Carolina) but it was fun to be a part of Arizona’s first-time hosting. I’ve been involved in some of Arizona’s other firsts as well…Super Bowl, Rock ‘n Roll Marathon, US Figure Skating Championships, to name a few.
- Go to Hawaii. My sister turned 50 in May and this trip was part of the celebration.
I have a lot to be grateful for and as the page of the calendar flips to the start of my 25th year, I hope there are many more firsts and lots of great seconds, thirds and fourths in store!