The Perfect Blog Post LengthMarch 2, 2017
#MediaMonday – Mark McCluneMarch 6, 2017
Every March we get to witness what is arguably the greatest basketball tournament in the world: The NCAA Basketball Tournament, which has become known as “March Madness.” It has spawned such terms as “Bracketology,” “Buzzer-Beaters, “Sweet Sixteen,” “Elite Eight” and “Final Four,” which will be played at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz., on April 1 and 3.
Did you know…
- The March Madness field features 68 of the 344 eligible Division 1 men’s teams.
- 32 conference-tournament winners receive an automatic bid.
- An estimated 40 million people fill out more than 70 million brackets.
- The odds of filling out a perfect bracket are 1 in 9.2 quintillion.
- Approximately $9 billion is wagered on the NCAA tournament.
- UCLA has won the most NCAA men’s basketball titles with 11.
- The University of Arizona Wildcats have been to the Final Four four times.
- Lew Alcindor, now Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, is the only three-time men’s tournament Most Outstanding Player.
- Kansas City, Mo., has hosted the Final Four 10 times, three more than New York and Indianapolis.
- Nevada is the only state banned from hosting NCAA tournament games in any sport because this state allows betting on individual sporting events.
- Duke’s Christian Laettner is the tournament’s all-time leading scorer with 407 points in 23 post-season games.