#MediaMonday – Paul FletcherApril 25, 2016
Creativity CountsApril 27, 2016
The 2016 PRSA Western District Conference, hosted by OC PRSA and held at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort and Spa, sure did deliver. This was my first time attending a Western District conference and I was impressed from the minute I arrived at the hotel. The hosting Chapter was more than welcoming and very helpful throughout the three-day event. The broad range of topics for the sessions and the entertaining and insightful speakers made for a terrific time. Not to mention all of the amazing professionals and leaders I met while attending! PS – Please stay in touch!
Throughout the conference, I noticed some common buzz about our industry from the speakers and professionals in attendance.
- Be the disruptive change – Make sure that you and your organization recognize change and adapt.
- Analytics and measurement have always been important, but today’s tools have made it more valuable than ever.
- “Storytelling” is a buzzword and so is “disruptive” – but it’s because corporations see the value in telling stories that consumers relate to and for many companies this is a disruptive change to the old way of doing business.
- Every pro needs to take risks and sometimes unlearn something to learn.
Photo via Mark McClennan
- The PR industry is more collaborative than it ever has been – partnerships with other departments and industry leaders will make PR strong.
- Every business is facing a digital transformation.
- And my favorite – dogs and cats are the fuel of the internet!
Some industry predictions given by Mark McClennan, APR, senior vice president at MSLGroup and national chair for Public Relations Society of America include:
- There is a greater change in the PR industry since the ‘90s, and it’s really at an inflection point.
- The fundamentals of public relations will remain because PR professionals will continue to leverage communication to reach business goals.
- And my favorite - 2016 is the year of measurement and analytics – companies need to invest in leveraging big data.
Photo via Ryan Narramore
The PRSA Western District Conference left me feeling informed, challenged and inspired. The countdown begins to the 2017 conference hosted by PRSA Inland Empire in Riverside, Calif.